Street art populates the town…
Those who love Street art, must come to Berlin. Berlin Streetart is experiencing a unique boom – and yet experienced it. In certain places in the city , the attentive visitor is overwhelmed by the variety of street artworks. Elsewhere, Street art is hidden . But, you can find it ( almost ) everywhere:
Huge grotesque figures fill entire walls of houses and dominate a whole area.
Area-wide patterns and striking ornaments embellish the grey of the streets.
Playful or provocative images put exclamation and question marks in the facades.
Tiny males populate street signs.
Knitted scarves warm freezing trees.
Stickers stick payphones , gutters and traffic lights.
Screaming colours and shapes transform benches , trash cans and mailboxes in objects from another world.
And the list goes on…
Street art continues to surprise us again and again. And if not , then street art has managed a few. It has beamed us for a moment, out- from everyday sights and urban monotony.
Art of the street: is permanent changing
Just drop by and take a look. Much of what had just been there, disappear the next moment. Often over painted, or demolished. Or pointless destroyed. No need to worry : Street art is constantly developing. Street art lives and dies like each other creatures here. Sometimes just a little faster.
Search and find
For those who do not like looking, I recommend:
To check out, the districts of Kreuzberg , Friedrichshain and Mitte. There you will find Street art almost everywhere. Or you can visit:
- the vacant Bärenquell brewery in Niederschöneweide
- the East Side Gallery in Friedrichshain
- the Street Art Gallery ice factory in the Köpenicker Straße in Mitte
- the Street Art Gallery Teufelsberg in Grunewald – Charlottenburg
Urban Street Art Styles
Paste up (or Cut Out)
- The design is first brought to paper and then cut out. Wallpapered on facades, trash, street lamps or on stairs- that’s when cut out starts life as street art. It jumps up stages. Holds on to edge. Wraps around a mast. Crawling out of a hole in the masonry. Guarded and embellished an unpleasant place. Until the rain and wind, loose it from its base. This remains as a piece of dedicated urban architecture – till the game reloaded. And the idea and purpose of a new connection enter.
- Large or very small , attentioned or understatement , painted , labeled or printed – stickers come in many forms. They stick wherever they may hold. Sometimes they even talk to each other.
- First, it means producing template, then you start spraying. Stencils can be sprayed in one or more colors or painted on walls. Most of them are indeed ” woodcut ” but photorealistic. The template are produces quickly and in mass – so Stencils are also often used for political statements.
- Street art 3D, is understood something differently. Either : Large installations or three-dimensional Tape Art , which stretchs from the walls and conqueres the entire space. Small objects that hide almost in public space. Whoever discovers them, becomes a Gulliver in a strange dwarf world. Or: Two-dimensional images that create a spatial impression with optical means. Photo Realistic like a trompe l’oeil. Open chasms beneath the feet. A look grant the surface. Like placed things that are not there.
Ostap the Streetartist
Slava Ostap is since 1995 in Berlin and creates Street art – but not only here. His talent is found in Tape art, Type objects in 3D, Blanks (Cut outs), Stencil, Graffiti and much more. He also does commercial art and even gives Street art workshop in Berlin or elsewhere. More to be found, here online or on the street outside. Have fun exploring!